Recent Posts

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:15:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 61
  • Latest: AciDeX
Stats
  • Total Posts: 28505
  • Total Topics: 1915
  • Online Today: 321
  • Online Ever: 455
  • (January 13, 2020, 04:13:29 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 267
Total: 267

Permissions

Author Topic: Cox Internet service....  (Read 4592 times)

Offline opiesilver

• Administrator
  • Well, Santa is 2000 years old....
    • View Profile
Cox Internet service....
« on: August 11, 2002, 01:24:43 AM »
Folks, I'd like to hear your opinions, gripes, and/or praises.
Mediocre people are always at their best.

Offline opiesilver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2002, 01:35:59 AM »
As many of you know, Cox has been having some serious problems with their service.

My particular gripe started about one month ago when surfing the internet becauce almost impossible on my 3000dn/300up line.  After I really got to looking into it, I found that I was loosing so many packets that my service was almost not there.  To make it even worse, my bandwidth had gone down to less than that of a 33.6 modem.  This had me fuming!!  

I called the wonderful Cox tech support and was blown off three different times before I could get a ticket opened up.  Their fix was to change my cable modem frequency.  That had the effect of eliminating  the packet loss, but left me with a service of 700dn/260up and a line latency of 769ms.  Gaming online is now impossible!  :swear::swear::swear::swear:

Is anyone else, besides ZW, getting such terrible service and support?  I feel like I just bought a car from a lemon lot.

If any member of Cox Business service reads this, get my frigging service fixed before you lose another customer to DSL.:crash:

Offline n1c

• Hmm, tastes like chicken!
    • View Profile
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2002, 03:33:56 PM »
my service is a little slow but its not that bad my DLs range from 35 to 300 bps avrage of 200
Mess With The Best And You'll Die Like The Rest ! ! !

Offline Wolverine of Ambush!

• 88 Members
  • Ker-schnick!
    • View Profile
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2002, 11:21:53 AM »
My service had issues right before the last big Lan Party. I had the tech support working on it for about a month before it was fixed..

I called them with Neotrace stats, screenshots of what my ping was doing when entering different games. My ping in games almost everyday would move up and down from 200-4000 ping</U>. They told me everything from, my pc having a 'PING VIRUS' TO it was my Games on my pc that were having problems..  

I even had one tech guy say "He was so curious what the issue was that He was ALMOST going to come out and check it with is laptop!"   I'm thinking to myself...."Really? you will actually come out here and SERVICE THE CUSTOMER..lucky me! hey wait...THAT"S YOUR JOB!"</B>    

They ended up planning a phone call with me and some big network guru in Atlanta, GA. Never recieved the phone call and the problem was fixed the next day.  

The only time, since then, that I have noticed lag is when i start up a server and have a couple of friends on it at around 7pm-9pm..but it is very sporadic..or a go to a friends server in the west omaha area. Now almost EVERYTIME i am on the server he starts it is pretty bad. Must be the service in his area.. My ping on other internet servers are fine.... must be a local thing...

My advice adds to something Opie Silver said. He mentioned a
Text.  If any of you are going to contact Tech support for COX.. MAKE SURE YOU ASK THEM FOR YOUR TICKET NUMBER!  IT's VERY important.  Having a ticket number makes it really easy for them to reference what has been going on with your service...  And whenever you call, ask the tech guy to make a note on your ticket..That way when you call in you are not getting the same low-level tech support every time.

Your objective is to get farther up the totem pole of tech people until you have someone that will want to fix your problem. The tech guys on the phone most likely WILL NOT be able to help you..:(

Hopefully this info helps!  :buttrock:
Class is in Session.  Get ready to be schooled! :hat:

Offline Morpheus

• I shoulda taken the green pill!
    • View Profile
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2002, 01:18:58 PM »
My speeds are good, even great at times.  Of course there are some advantages to being in South O, I don't have to share with very many people.  What I do know is that I would be calling every day and complaining until they either asked me to leave or did something about it.  I certainly would not be paying for the service if they weren't providing the advertised speeds.
Luck is better than skill anyday! The more skill I get, the luckier I get!

Offline ZWarrior

• Administrator
  • Shhh! Be wery wery qwiet...
    • View Profile
    • Ambush!
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2002, 02:28:12 PM »
I had a tech out here Friday because of an intermittent failure with my cable modem.  I still see your pings bouncing up and down when we start a server and you connect.  My ping times in UT to remote servers that I have played on for a long time SUCK!!

I am very disappointed with the response from my provider, and would switch to a better provider, if only there was one.  QWest is about as incompetent as Cox can be.  There are some good techs at Cox, but they aren't the ones I have talked to recently.
--------------------------------
Zoë: Shepard, isn't the Bible kind of specific about killing?
Book: Very specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the area of kneecaps.

Offline opiesilver

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2002, 01:00:34 AM »
If any of you would like to know the health of your broadband service go here http://www.dslreports.com/linequality  and run a test.

Offline ZWarrior

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ambush!
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2002, 12:41:44 PM »
All I know is that I lost connectivity again last night for about 4 hours, nothing but the freaking blinking cable light.

Cox's response?  We will have a tech out to your house on Wednesday morning between 8 and 10am.  And I had to ASK for the measly $2.50 credit!  He even knew that this problem has been going on for OVER A MONTH!!!!
Book: Very specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the area of kneecaps.

Offline Spade

• Frag of fear!
    • View Profile
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2002, 02:27:52 PM »
I hear ya, I got so mad last night that I fdisked my box, reformated, and rebuilt it from the ground up.  Why?  Just because I have never done a reload since I built it 2.5 years ago and it was due.  Also I wanted to narrow down the problems I have been seeing with ping rates and such and make sure it wasnt me.  I have not tweeked my registry yet and want to test it tonight first.  Standard load without registry changes was 1800 up and 292 down.  I know before I was at 2.8 up.  I was up till 4:30 last night....fun...fun....fun.  I still think with the lightning hit I took that my router and or my switch could be at fault.  Maybe even my cable modem....we will see. :crash:  One step at a time.
---------------------------
Hit me if you can!:drummer:
:mg-rt: :transloc: :mg-lft:

Offline Spade

• Frag of fear!
    • View Profile
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2002, 02:31:35 PM »
Tried to edit the messege above and it said I am not permitted to view this forum????  I had my upload and download switched even though I am sure you all caught that.  Should be 292 up and 1.8 down.....LOL
Hit me if you can!:drummer:
:mg-rt: :transloc: :mg-lft:

Offline ZWarrior

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ambush!
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2002, 04:08:33 PM »
Well, they visited, changed a few ends, and suggested a few things.  It remains to be seen how well it will work from here.

Offline n1c

• Hmm, tastes like chicken!
    • View Profile
Cox Internet service....
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2002, 10:11:42 PM »
My Connection isnt that great but im brakeing the 1Mbit layer so im happy
Mess With The Best And You'll Die Like The Rest ! ! !

Contacts