Recent Posts

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 61
  • Latest: AciDeX
Stats
  • Total Posts: 28505
  • Total Topics: 1915
  • Online Today: 233
  • Online Ever: 455
  • (January 13, 2020, 04:13:29 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Permissions

Author Topic: The Price for Convience  (Read 2964 times)

Offline JollyRoger

• That's Captain
  • I be plundering the interweb for booty.
    • View Profile
The Price for Convience
« on: October 15, 2004, 10:31:26 PM »
Ok, so I was out and about today after school and I decided to whip out the old laptop and fire it up. I launched Netstumbler and started scanning. Now I started out on 84th street and Giles, and immediately started finding APs. I drove to Center, hoped over to Dodge and then Drove east on Dodge, and came back to 72nd street. Then back to Papillion. I found over 200 AP, not surprisingly. Over 150 of these APs had not been configured past default, wasn't too surprised just worried. Most of these AP seem to be at businesses and open to the world, are people that lazy or do they not care about security? Is the convince that important that they will just plug it in and forget, and then cry, scream, and complain when there business gets attacked.

I saw a commercial for "AOL 9.0 optimized" they had a lady say she wants Spam blockers, and virus protection and Ad blockers but she didn't want to do anything. I am thinking how do you have all that and not want to do anything. Do just not care, are you lazy, or just that stupid. I relies that why we have the IT world but seriously. I can't have someone else take total responsibility for my protection.

I went to the store to buy some pop. The have at bakers 2Liters of Coca~cola for $1.00 with your "baker's card" and they have 20 oz for the same price. Come on is convince that important that we'll spend the same amount for less.

Anyway, back to my original rant. I found all of these APs that had all the default settings and yes I did verify this by loging into some of the APs without changing any setting of course. Here comes the funniest part 60% of all the APs I found to be secure where in residential housing areas. I was astounded by this. That residential APs where more secure then business APs.  now most of them where using WEPs and yes I could have yoinked the WEPs key right out of the air and had access but that wasn't the point.

I find this to be a little on the ironic, or maybe that wasn't the word to use but why would a home based AP be more secure then a business AP?
No matter how hard you try to push the envelope, remember it's only stationary.

Offline snauzberries

• Bless me I snauzed!
    • View Profile
The Price for Convience
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 12:32:02 AM »
its funny attualy

Offline opiesilver

• Administrator
  • Well, Santa is 2000 years old....
    • View Profile
The Price for Convience
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 02:35:31 AM »
That's what you get when you don't a professional set up your business networks.
Mediocre people are always at their best.

Offline Boomslang

• View Profile
    • http://www.xbitlabs.com/
The Price for Convience
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 04:35:35 AM »
Maybe you could call some of them and get a $$$$ job. So you can pay go to the Lan party  :cool

Offline snauzberries

• Bless me I snauzed!
    • View Profile
The Price for Convience
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 07:41:50 AM »
hey there ya go jolly

Offline ZWarrior

• Administrator
  • Shhh! Be wery wery qwiet...
    • View Profile
    • Ambush!
--------------------------------
Zoƫ: Shepard, isn't the Bible kind of specific about killing?
Book: Very specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the area of kneecaps.

Offline JollyRoger

• That's Captain
  • I be plundering the interweb for booty.
    • View Profile
The Price for Convience
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 05:41:31 PM »
That was a good little article and I already knew most of that. I have wireless access at my place and no it isn't secure, but I have nothing really to keep secure.
I just find it ridicules that most of the business I found had no security. They hadn't even changed the default login.
No matter how hard you try to push the envelope, remember it's only stationary.

Contacts