Recent Posts

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:46:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 61
  • Latest: AciDeX
Stats
  • Total Posts: 28505
  • Total Topics: 1915
  • Online Today: 233
  • Online Ever: 455
  • (January 13, 2020, 04:13:29 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

Permissions

Author Topic: Update  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Rameg74

• View Profile
Update
« on: March 10, 2004, 09:16:28 AM »
Here is something to ponder... I don't have a lot of specifics right now and I am guessing you will want more info, so ask away and I let you know ASAP.

A friend of mine just got a new PC and he was thinking about hosting a dedicated UT2004 server on his laptop for him, our friend Rod, and myself to play on. I don't know how well it would play, but he just wanted to try it out.

The Setup…
Ben's PC is hooked directly to his cable modem. His Laptop is connected to his PC with a crossover cable and it is getting the Internet connection through the PC. There is no router involved, it's just a crossover cable. He (being suborn) wants to leave the cable modem hooked up to the PC and the Laptop hooked up to it with the crossover, but he wants to run the server on the laptop.

When he runs the server on his PC, Rod and I (all of us are playing from our homes on cable modems) can connect to it just fine and it plays great, but if he tries to run a server on his laptop Rod and I cannot get connected. If he advertises the server running on his laptop, it shows up on the master list, but shows no ping, and has no game info. If you try to join, it fails to connect. Ben, of course, can get in the game from his PC.

I realize that there are other ways (better ways) to run his server, but he is not giving up on this idea, and it’s annoying me :) So what I want to know is, is it possible to run a server on his laptop the way it is setup? If so, what needs to be done, by him, or the people trying to connect to make it work. We have tried his IP he is getting from his ISP, and the IP his computer assigned to his laptop and neither one will let us connect. Any feedback is appreciated ;)
Rameg74

Offline Morpheus

• I shoulda taken the green pill!
    • View Profile
Update
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 01:37:40 PM »
I'm not the best to answer this, but I will give it a try.  Ben's PC is acting as the router.  When you have a server behind a router, you must forward the ports to the pc running the server.  So UT2004 uses I think 7777 and 7778 (that is from my memory), therefore in his internet sharing, he would need to be able to forward those ports to his laptop IP.  

1) On Ben's computer open up the network connections (through the control panel) and click on the internal network connection.  Choose change change settings of this connection.

2) Go to the advanced tab and click on the settings button.

3) click the add button and fill in the form as follows
UT2004
ip of ben's laptop
(I think it's tcp but not certain)

4) Do the same thing with port 7778 ( you might be able to set the first as a range 7777-7778, but it's not documented so you would have to try it out.

That should do the trick.

Of course for $20 you could get a wireless router with 4 port switch and he would be protected from the internet better.  As well as having better performance.
Luck is better than skill anyday! The more skill I get, the luckier I get!

Offline Rameg74

• View Profile
Update
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 02:05:29 PM »
I'll forward this on to him, thanks for the reply. I think it's just one of those things where he just wants to make it work just so he can say he made it work :)
Rameg74

Offline JollyRoger

• That's Captain
  • I be plundering the interweb for booty.
    • View Profile
Update
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 04:42:01 PM »
I'd Buy a router if I were him.
But Morpheus's answer will work too.
No matter how hard you try to push the envelope, remember it's only stationary.

Offline ZWarrior

• Administrator
  • Shhh! Be wery wery qwiet...
    • View Profile
    • Ambush!
Update
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 09:41:52 PM »
Port 7777-tcp
Port 7778-udp
There is one more for advertising it to the web, but I don't remember what it is right.
--------------------------------
Zoë: Shepard, isn't the Bible kind of specific about killing?
Book: Very specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the area of kneecaps.

Offline Fraggster

• Frag! You\'re it!
    • View Profile
    • http://hotrodder106.tripod.com
Update
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 10:22:20 AM »
Originally posted by Rameg74
Here is something to ponder... I don't have a lot of specifics right now and I am guessing you will want more info, so ask away and I let you know ASAP.

A friend of mine just got a new PC and he was thinking about hosting a dedicated UT2004 server on his laptop for him, our friend Rod, and myself to play on. I don't know how well it would play, but he just wanted to try it out.

The Setup…
Ben's PC is hooked directly to his cable modem. His Laptop is connected to his PC with a crossover cable and it is getting the Internet connection through the PC. There is no router involved, it's just a crossover cable. He (being suborn) wants to leave the cable modem hooked up to the PC and the Laptop hooked up to it with the crossover, but he wants to run the server on the laptop.

When he runs the server on his PC, Rod and I (all of us are playing from our homes on cable modems) can connect to it just fine and it plays great, but if he tries to run a server on his laptop Rod and I cannot get connected. If he advertises the server running on his laptop, it shows up on the master list, but shows no ping, and has no game info. If you try to join, it fails to connect. Ben, of course, can get in the game from his PC.

I realize that there are other ways (better ways) to run his server, but he is not giving up on this idea, and it’s annoying me :) So what I want to know is, is it possible to run a server on his laptop the way it is setup? If so, what needs to be done, by him, or the people trying to connect to make it work. We have tried his IP he is getting from his ISP, and the IP his computer assigned to his laptop and neither one will let us connect. Any feedback is appreciated ;)
if its Xp, does he have the gay little built in fire wall on?
Site: http://www.intarwebs.tk<---------New Site Address!!! :D
Forums: http://s2.invisionfree.com/Team_w00t/

Offline Rameg74

• View Profile
Update
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 09:38:24 AM »
I knew about the ports from setting up my own server, but I did not know you still had to do that if you didn't have a router, I didn't even know you could to be honest. I forwared Morpheus's message to him, but I don't think he has tried it. The XP firewall is not enabled by the way ;) Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll let you  know if he gives it a shot. (I think he finnaly gave up on the idea anyway)
Rameg74

Offline Morpheus

• I shoulda taken the green pill!
    • View Profile
Update
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 12:49:53 PM »
Is he coming to the came day so we can frag some sense into him?:hotbouns::sword:
Luck is better than skill anyday! The more skill I get, the luckier I get!

Offline Rameg74

• View Profile
Update
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 12:54:23 PM »
No, I've been trying to talk him into it, but he is a wuss. He has never been to a LAN Party before. He's saying stuff like, "There is no beer allowed? What kinda party is that?"

He would like it if he came, it's just trying to talk Ben into things that is the hard part...
Rameg74

Offline ZWarrior

• Administrator
  • Shhh! Be wery wery qwiet...
    • View Profile
    • Ambush!
Update
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 02:25:03 PM »
I guarantee that it will be fun WITHOUT the beer!
--------------------------------
Zoë: Shepard, isn't the Bible kind of specific about killing?
Book: Very specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the area of kneecaps.